Friday, December 30, 2005


I've crawled out of my cave to post The Best Of, with my friends. I'd really rather say something about my friends because they ARE worth telling the world about, but to be sociable and join in the fun, I will tell the world about the great makeup/perfume products I discovered in 2005. Here is my list, and it will be followed by a list of my friends blogs, so you can rummage around comparing 2005 Best Ofs:

Best Of 2005


1. Philosophy Gingerbread Man Shower Gel and Bubble Bath. I can't wake up without this product. My employer would be wise to ship a case of this stuff to me to ensure I get to work post-showered clean, refreshed, smiling, and smelling good.

2. The Different Company's Bois d'Iris perfume. After 30-mumblemumble years of adoring rose perfumes, I fell head over heels for iris and changed my signature scent. This is entirely Maller's fault. You know who you are.

3. Fresh's Umbrian Clay Face Treatment has taken my super-sensitive skin that blotches at a mere whisper of soap or heat, and treated it as the delicate porcelain pain in the *ss it is. I have found my soap, face mask, and treatment bar in the Umbrian Clay product line. I also use the Umbrian Clay toothpaste, shampoo, and hair mask. I am a FOOL in love with Umbrian Clay.

4. Stella Rose Absolute Parfum Intense. I have been speechless since finding my love, Stella Rose Absolute. I thought Stella parfum was the be-all end-all of perfumes for me (aside from Bois d'Iris). But nooooo, there is a fresher jewel that brings me from a blousey cool rose-peony-amber friendly place in my home, to just inside the perimeter of my rose garden on a dewy morning in June. This is the perfume that is my most essential self. It is as though the perfumer made it exactly, and only, for the real and true ME.

5. La Prairie Extrait of Skin Caviar Firming Complex. This is it, this is the secret of my skin, the reason it looks 10 years younger. Now you know.

6. Bobbi Bell Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Violet Ink. This eyeliner glides on like silk, makes a beautiful smoky line, stays put all day, and comes in really beautiful colors. I use Violet Ink most of the time, but also sometimes use Sepia Ink or Graphite Shimmer Ink, subtle yet rich smoky colors that are complimentary to my grey-blue eye color. This is the most essential make-up of my wardrobe.

7. Chanel Glossimer in Sensuelle. The little swatches on Gloss.com and other sites have no bearing on the real color, which is a soft violet. It is like a soft fuschia that is lost in amethyst. This incredible color is very flattering and makes the teeth look whiter, the smile softer, and the skin flushed pink. I've never used a more flattering Glossimer (and I use SO MANY of them!!).

8. People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo - Body Creme. I think I was the first person to get a jar of this incredible body creme because Autumn, a very kind e-store proprietress, offered me her one and only sample (in a ripped box) at a huge discount. I grabbed it. I wasn't feeling well at the time and to have my favorite perfume in a thick creme form was true heaven. Well it is the thickest, richest body creme I've ever worn. It has an extremely high parfum content (parfum being the second listed ingredient!) so I can't imagine how they can afford to keep this stuff in production considering its decently low price. The body creme is all you need - no need to put on ANY perfume afterwards. It deeply conditions the skin and forms a thin waterproof shield, sort of like a second skin. This is truly magical stuff and I am never without it. My greatest fear is that it will cease production so I WILL have to buy a backup jar, and soon but I see Autumn doesn't carry it any more (!!!!) so I will grab a jar from Marcy quick.

I use tons of other products but these are the most stand-out of 2005 for me. Of the 20 Glossimers in my bag, I usually only wear one. Of the 30 eyeliners and eye pencils in my vanity, I always gravitate to Violent Ink. Of the 100+ perfume bottles in shelves around my dressing area, I nearly always reach for the same few. I'm in such a happy rut. May you have a similarly happy rut, routine, and discovery of best products for 2005 and again in 2006.

Best wishes,
Lucia

Here are links to my friend's Best Of lists:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I would really enjoy a blog about your family and life and everything you see as mundane. I don't need praying mantises!

Now I'm dying for the Glossimer.

xxoo

Kyahgirl said...

Hi Lucia! Great list.
Happy New Year. I hope that 2006 brings you improved health.

All the best,
Laura

Kyahgirl said...

all the best in 2006 Lucia.

Happy New Year!!

:-)
Laura

Annieytown said...

Great list L!
I think the POTL cream was one of the most popular products on the lists this year.
I should cave on it before it disappears.
Have a wonderful New Year L!

Koneko said...

Happy New Year, Lucia!
I think happy ruts are wonderful! I'm so glad that you have items that really work for you. I'm going to have to try these babies out! As for me, I am a skincare fiend, but this year I found that I have returned to tried and true products, which is why my skincare "finds" list was so short! ;-)

katiedid said...

I hope you have just an excellent 2006, Lucia.

I haven't tried the Gingerbread Philosophy at all! Seems like I've tried so many of them, but somehow this one I keep skipping over. I must remedy that. Although, admittedly, the biggest Philosophy fans in our household are actually my twins. Their latest discovery is the triple cocoa one.

Kristen said...

Lovely list! I love Stella in all its forms and am so happy to see it on your list. :)

Happy New Year!